Author Topic: Honda Pacific Coast - PC800  (Read 4159 times)

Offline timothy

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • 2 Wheel Tours
Honda Pacific Coast - PC800
« on: September 06, 2013, 10:58:06 PM »
3 Sep 2013

I got a new (to me) bike. It is a Honda Pacific Coast - PC800. I paid a princely sum of $750 for it. It is not in running order at the moment. It would start but only for a short while.

The previous owner(PO) claims that the Head Gasket is gone. And that it has overheating problems. His mechanic whom I got to speak with says that the water pipe has burst. And that the bike needs a top overhaul. I don't know what he means buy that but I don't care.

The Honda Pacific Coast - PC800, looking to replace the one in the background as my tourer. A bit of a downgrade?
« Last Edit: September 07, 2013, 11:48:28 PM by timothy »
So many places to see. So little time.

Offline timothy

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • 2 Wheel Tours
4 Sep 2013 - Windscreen and Mirrors
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2013, 11:31:45 PM »
Last night I watch a youtube video on how to remove the windscreen. So I today I put that into practice and removed the Windscreen. I polished it and managed to get most of the gunk out. What did I use to get the shine?

Before

After

Not to bad huh? Now to get a sticker for the registration number.

I also did the mirror pods. There is some damage to the right pod but it has been repaired.

The left signal lens is cracked.

And there are numerous scratches and bumps on both mirror pods.

I would need to buy a set of new lens. Buy locally or eBay?
« Last Edit: September 07, 2013, 11:47:55 PM by timothy »

Offline timothy

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • 2 Wheel Tours
5 Sep 2013 - Removing the Tupperware
« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2013, 11:51:59 PM »
Despite the rain Willaim cam down to show me how to remove the Bike's fairings.
Willian and his PC. If only I can get my PC to look like his. Spotlessly Clean.

William is a very "hands on" guy.

Bits and pieces coming off.

And now the bike looks like this. Body panels off.

Tommorrow I have to figure out how to remove the front fairings.

Offline timothy

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • 2 Wheel Tours
6 Sep 2013 - More Tupperware
« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2013, 11:53:40 PM »
More Tupperware came off today. I printed the Owners' Manual and referred to the tear-down diagrams there. I was able to get the front panels and headlight to came off. What a PITA. Also many tabs have broken off from the fairings.

Once I am sure the bike can run properly I will start on prepping up the Tupperware for a re-spray. What colour? Suggestions? TP - PC - White ?

I still don't have a good view of the engine. However from what I can see, there is certainly some oil around the Head but not too bad. No Rust stains, so no water blowing from the jacket.

Newish looking water hoses to the radiator. Someone has unsuccessfully tackled the overheating problem. One of the carbs has a lot of gunk on the outside. I do not know what it is.

Offline timothy

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • 2 Wheel Tours
7 Sep 2013 - Carbs removed
« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2013, 12:27:46 AM »
Today Mohan and Yew came down to do some testing. The battery was flat so we hooked it up to the car for a jump start. After the direct injection of some fuel it fired up but ran ragged and would not rev up. Increase the rev and it would sputter out. So some carb work to be done.

We also checked the radiator. After the initial burping it settled down. Water (no coolant) can be seem circulating nicely. No sign of piston induced pressure. So the radiator may not be the problem. Overheating could be the thermostat, fan switch or the fan itself.

The oil from the dipstick looks OK. No sign of water contamination. Conclusion - water from engine water jacket not getting into the chamber. Gasket may be leaking but not badly blown. So the PO's, "Head gasket gone!" may be an exaggeration.

When I went to inspect the bike at the PO's workshop the mechanic there told me that the bike needs a "top overhaul" (I don't know what ever he means by that) and that would cost between $2,000 to $3,000. I may yet have the last laugh. Like I always say, 'Wish me luck"  :-)

All smiles after the test.

The engine is covered by a rubber hood and a plastic heat shield. So we still cannot see the leaky gaskets.

So everything came off - fuel and water hoses, carbs, rubber hood and heat shield.

Lots of oil on the left side of the rear cylinder.

On the right side both cylinders shows signs of leaking oil but not as bad as the left.

Later we removed the rest of the Tupperware including the Trunk and the front wheel cover.

The difference between Japanese and German design. To access the engine on the BMW only 2 huge pieces of plastic needs to come off. For this Japanese bike, it is more like 30 pieces.

This is getting interesting. Plan of action.
Clean the carburettors.
Remove and flush radiator.
Remove and test thermostat.
Remove and test fan.
Remove and test fan switch.

Then re-install the carbs
Clean up the engine and run again to pin point the leak.

Now to go looking for parts to buy. Things are looking up. I am optimistic.

Stay tune for the next episode.
« Last Edit: September 10, 2013, 01:05:49 PM by timothy »

Offline William

• View Profile
Re: Honda Pacific Coast - PC800
« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2013, 05:41:39 AM »
http://members.aon.at/mtc81/pc800.htm

chrome translate to English
« Last Edit: September 08, 2013, 05:46:28 AM by William »

Offline timothy

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • 2 Wheel Tours
9 Sep 2013 - Carbs cleaned
« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2013, 08:22:53 PM »
Raining today, cannot ride, so I settled down to clean the carbs.

Suprise! They are actually quite clean. Somebody has done the carbs recently. So the PO BS me when he said the bike was not running smoothly because the carbs are dirty. The diaphragm looks like new. Fits into the grove very nicely. Not stretched with age at all. Unbelievable.

Anyway no harm making sure all passages are clear. I spray Carb cleaner into all holes and passages. I did not remove the Floats or the Slides but blew cleaner through.

All cleaned and buttoned up. Should not have separated the two carbs. Not necessary for cleaning purposes. 

Bright and shiny now. I hope this works.

Since someone has done the carbs then they are not the problem. So why is the PC not running right? I will have to look somewhere else.

Next course of action:

1. Thoroughly clean the engine.
2. Replace carbs and prep bike to run.
3. Re-connect the dash display so I have rev counter.
4. Refresh fuel by siphoning off old and replenishing. Or
5. Remove and flush the fuel tank.
6. Coat engine with talcum powder or flour.
7. Run engine and look for leak(s).

More to follow . . .
« Last Edit: September 10, 2013, 12:51:13 AM by timothy »

Offline William

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 10, 2013, 01:12:38 PM »
better to siphon the old fuel and replaced.

The last time I am able to loosen the fuel tank but I cannot take it off the frame.

Offline timothy

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • 2 Wheel Tours
« Reply #8 on: September 12, 2013, 11:04:33 PM »
better to siphon the old fuel and replaced.

The last time I am able to loosen the fuel tank but I cannot take it off the frame.

Yes I will do that tomorrow. This morning I failed to remove the trunk. 2 screws have nuts and would not budge. So I cannot remove the tank. Tomorrow I will use the grinder and cut them out. Once the trunk comes off, the fuel tank can come out for cleaning.

Offline timothy

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • 2 Wheel Tours
9 Sep 2013 - Carbs re-installed
« Reply #9 on: September 12, 2013, 11:17:37 PM »
This morning I cleaned up the engine. Now if it leaks agan I can see where it is coming from.

After lunch I re-installed the carburettors. The fuel hoses, choke cables, water hoses etc.

Tomorrow I will hook up the throttles cables and put back the battery so that I can try starting the engine again.

Offline timothy

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • 2 Wheel Tours
13 Sep 2013 - Trunk removed
« Reply #10 on: September 14, 2013, 12:33:04 AM »
Yesterday I tried to remove the trunk but was unsuccessful. In the way were two nut and bolt combinations. They would not budge and there is no room to allow the use of an impact driver. Finally I managed to round out the soft metal of the hex head. This afternoon I cut them out with a grinder. Now that the trunk is out I have a better view of the rear end of the bike. Now I have access to the suspension and final drive mechanism. Tomorrow I will remove the rear sub-frame and then fuel tank to flush it.

Presently the engine would not rev up. It could be electrical, could be air and it could also be fuel. To take fuel out of the equation I am going to remove and flush the tank. Then I will not have stale fuel. I will check all fuel hoses and joints for clear passage. Along the way I will test the fuel pump to make sure that it is putting out sufficient pressure. This will make sure that the carbs get enough fuel.

Offline timothy

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • 2 Wheel Tours
14 Sep 2013 - Carbs - No Joy
« Reply #11 on: September 19, 2013, 12:07:59 AM »
Saturday. And the story continues. Yew and John came down and we tried to start up the bike in the afternoon.

In the morning I had siphoned off about 5 litres of what I thought was stale petrol from the PC. I opened up the fuel gauge port on the side of the fuel tank and stuck a hose in. I then siphon 4.9 litres from the RT and poured it into the PC.  All is good . . . or so I thought.

We connected up the starter switches and gave it a go. Well . . . no go! It would crank but would not start. Same situation as before. If we prime the carbs with fuel it would start and run till the fresh fuel is burnt out.

I put my hands over the air intake since there the air filter is not installed to restrict air-flow. Still no go but my hands felt wet and slippery / oily. Why? Why is there only from the carbs? Puzzling. I don't know what to make of it so we call it quits.

Edit: Why is the fuel oily? Keep reading . . .
« Last Edit: September 26, 2013, 11:20:47 PM by timothy »

Offline timothy

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • 2 Wheel Tours
17 Sep 2013 - Motor Repair Shop
« Reply #12 on: September 19, 2013, 12:10:37 AM »
William introduced me to a repair shop. I sent the bike in the morning and in the afternoon they got it done. I got the bike back home in the afternoon. The bike would start, it can rev up but there is a lot of white smoke coming from the exhaust and it pops every now and then. Well, the repair shop have done their job. The bike is running. I will sought out the rest myself. With all the smoke I can't run the bike for long without the whole neighbourhood thinking I am fogging out mosquitoes. It is that bad. I'll make a video so you can see and hear the spectacle !

I also discovered that although the water in the radiator is circulating it overflows when the engines heats up. While this may be normal the fan did not kick in. So it lost a lot of water.

I consulted Mohan. His guess is - residual bad fuel/water in tank and exhaust. Could also be blown gasket resulting in water getting into the chamber. I agree with both theories especially the popping. Sounds like water in the fuel.

And so to the next course of action. William has three suggestions - part out the bike on eBay, put it back together and sell it on SBF or bring it back to the shop for further repairs.

My decision? I have read up a lot on the PC and its performance. On Monday I rode William's PC and it handled as I expected based on what I read. In fact I was very impressed. Compared to my other bikes, it is quiet, has little vibration, not fast but pulls strongly and smoothly. Upright riding position and good seats. All in all a good touring bike. So the decision is an easy one for me. Back to the repair shop to get it sorted out. And a complete overhaul if necessary.
« Last Edit: October 19, 2013, 06:58:02 PM by timothy »

Offline timothy

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • 2 Wheel Tours
18 Sep 2013 - A $190 mistake?
« Reply #13 on: September 19, 2013, 12:13:47 AM »
This morning I went down to the repair shop to see about the overhaul. Their suggestion is that I run the bike for a while before deciding what to do. They also told me that the fuel was bad. I told them that I put in 5 litres of fresh fuel siphoned from another bike. They were surprised they are sure that the fuel is bad. Then it struck me ! ! !

YES ! ! !       the fuel could be bad !
That is why the RT would not start after fueled up at the GAS station. Yes GAS but what gas? Could I have made a mistake and pumped Diesel into the RT? Instead of putting good fuel into the PC in exchange for bad I had put in Diesel in exchange for good? Is that why the fuel from the PC's carbs felt oily? Because it is diesel not petrol? MOST LIKELY !  What a dumbass mistake !

This evening I have siphoned out as much of the RT's gas tank as possible. What cam out don't smell like petrol, don't feel like petrol and don't evaporate quickly like petrol. I'll clean out the tank tomorrow and fill it up with PETROL and see what happens.
I will also clean out the PC's tank as well and put in fresh PETROL, then run the bike when the neighbour is out.

Somewhere I mentioned that this PC project may turn out to be a folly. Well it certainly looks like it is headed that way.

I always try to be optimistic. There is a bright side to this story. Now I know that there is nothing wrong with the RT. And I also know that other problems not withstanding, the PC's engine is up and running.

Folly or not . . . more tomorrow . . . 
« Last Edit: October 19, 2013, 07:02:07 PM by timothy »

Offline timothy

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • 2 Wheel Tours
« Reply #14 on: September 25, 2013, 03:14:35 AM »
Yesterday I cleaned up the bike. I removed most of the oil and grime from the engine. The bike is running but it overheats easily. No more white smoke from the diesel. Some popping from the hole in the exhaust.

The water in the radiator appears to be circulating properly but the fan did not kick in when the temperature builds up resulting in the water overflowing into the container and then bubbling all over. 

There is no sign of oil leaking from the engine. The joints at the cam cover and the gaskets appears to be clean. Maybe I did not run the bike long enough for the leak to become apparent.

So are the gaskets gone as claimed by the previous owner? Or it is overheating because the fan failed to come on?

Since the engine has a coat of oil and grime then there must be some leakage somewhere. If it is from the cam cover then all I need is some liquid gasket and maybe a couple of camshaft end caps. Just like the DR350.

However if it is the head gasket then it would need a top overhaul. I don't know. So I am going to Ma Motors to seek Jeffrey's advice. Perhaps an overhaul would be the wise thing to do given the age of the bike.

Let's see what Jeffrey says tomorrow.